Create your very own expanding table with IKEA products! Here we present how to make an expanding side table into a board game table using easy mount slide rails.
$130 to $180
IKEA Items :
Lack TV Unit - Qty 3-6 depending on how much expansion wanted
IKEA Article # 902.432.97
Other Items Needed:
Easy Mount Expanding Table Rails
#10 wood screws - 3/4" Length - Hex Head
1/4" Wooden Dowels
Ruler or Measuring Tape
1/16" Drill Bit
1/4" Drill Bit
5/16" Drill Bit
Flat Head Screwdriver Bit
1. Pick a large flat surface to work on- a kitchen floor was used for this project.
2. Assemble two IKEA Lack TV Units, without the bottom shelf
3. Lay out all needed materials, See picture below
4. Using a ruler and pencil, create drill mark locations on the faces of the Lack TV Unit that will touch each other. Drill locations are 1" from the edge of the table, and in the midpoint of that line. See picture below.
5. You can also create a drill mark location in the center of the table, as seen below, but it can be skipped if needed. Picture below shows the finished result of the marking locations.
6. Drill at the marked locations, using a 1/16" Drill Bit
Start with a small drill bit, and work your way up to the larger ones - this will help prevent wood and paint chipping, acting like a guide for the larger drill bits.
7. Gradually increase drill bit size to 1/4" - wipe away wood dust - a vacuum works best
8. Install 1/4" wood dowels on one side - wood glue not needed, but can be used
9. Enlarge the holes on the table not using the wood dowels to 5/16" - This helps compensate for any slop in the original marks and drilling of the holes.
10. Place Easy Mount Slide Rails onto mated table pieces, and mark drill locations
11. Create pilot holes using 1/16" Drill Bit
12. Install #10 wood screws using flat head screwdriver bit or hex bit.
13. Repeat steps 10-12 for opposite mounting sides
14. Flip the table over, and test out functionality
15. Place this finished portion of the table out of the way. Next is to make the table leafs.
16. Gather the other Lack TV Unit Shelf pieces, which will act as table leafs, and begin marking drill locations for dowels and 5/16" mating holes.
17. Use the same drill locations used in step 4 above. Use a ruler and pencil.
18. Use same method of drill enlargment as seen in step 6-7
19. Repeat for the other side of the table leaf.
20. Pick the one side that will not have wooden dowels installed, and drill out 5/16" holes.
21. Install wood dowels on one side of the table leaf with the remaining 1/4" holes. One side of the leaf will have 1/4" wood dowels, and the other side will have 5/16" holes.
22. Repeat steps 16-21 for as many table leafs as you want.
23. Expand your table, and test install of your table leafs
24. Enjoy your new expanding board game table!